huis verzekeringenHome Insurance

Home insurance is something you can’t go without in the Netherlands. A popular insurance in the Netherlands is the so-called Inboedelverzekering / Household Contents Insurance.

Household Contents Insurance

This insurance covers damage to your household goods caused by fire, burglary, explosion, storms, water, and various other factors. The sum insured will usually be subject to average so it is important that the sum insured is up to date.

Residential Premises Insurance

Expats who have bought a house in the Netherlands are obliged to take out a Residential Premises Insurance. This is a condition to get a mortgage. If you have bought an apartment, your homeowners association should provide the insurance. Otherwise, you have to arrange this insurance yourself.

The owners of furnished rented properties usually pay the Residential Premises Insurance for expats renting a house or apartment, but tenants could still need to take out Household Contents Insurance for their personal possessions (household content). Check the details with the owner.

More information about other insurances can be found in the chapter Medical care & Insurances on our website or you can contact the Expat Center Twente for assistance.