jobCareer & edult education

Are you going to work for an employer, start your own business or are you a student who wants to stay longer in the Netherlands in order to start your career here? In this section, you can read all about these topics.

Looking for a job ?

If you’re looking for a new job and want to work in the Netherlands, you can use Linked-in as a tool, or job portals. For jobs in the east of the Netherlands, suitable for internationals, you can visit the website of

Expat Center East Netherlands organises practical workshops during the year, focussing on writing a good resume, preparing for job interviews and giving general information about working in the Netherlands. Sign up for our newsletter, or follow us on Facebook for these events.

Employment contract & conditions

You can work for a Dutch employer with whom you have started an employment contract. The employment contract includes conditions of the work you will be doing, your salary, the number of working hours, holiday allowance, etc. Also other conditions can be agreed upon such as: expense allowances for moving and commuting, bonuses and pension provisions.
If you work for a Dutch employer in the Netherlands, you will in most cases be subject to Dutch taxation and Dutch social security regulations for employees such as unemployment, illness, and disability.

The employer must check if your residence status allows you to work and if a work permit is required. This will depend on your nationality and current residence status. You can also be working through a Dutch temporary employment agency and work for one or several companies (see below) as a seconded employee.

In the Netherlands, many companies and branches have a so-called Collective Labour Agreement (Collectieve Arbeidsovereenkomst, CAO). A CAO contains supplementary rules for all employees on wages, working hours, supplementary pension, payment during illness, etc. A CAO is concluded by one or more employers, one or more employers’ organisations, and one or more employees’ organisations (mainly trade unions). For more information about CAOs check the website of the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment.

Knowledge migrants

Employers who have the status of special sponsorship (“erkend referent”) with the IND can employ highly skilled migrants with the status “knowledge migrants “(kennismigrant). The employer and the knowledge migrant must meet several requirements to obtain this special combined work – and residence permit but will have benefits as well. Contact the Expat Center East Netherlands for more details.

Seconded Employees

In case you are working in the Netherlands because your employer in your home country has seconded you to the Netherlands, the terms and conditions must comply with the legal rules in your home country but because you work in the Netherlands, also some Dutch rules will apply to your employment. For example, if you work in the Netherlands, you must be paid at least the Dutch minimum wage and holiday allowance, and you must comply with the working hours regulations and rest times. Your home country’s social security might still be applicable if you have a so-called E101 declaration from the Social Security board in your home country (if you are seconded from an EEA country or treaty country). Check for more information the website of the SVB.

Orientation year permit

When have graduated, obtained a PhD or performed scientific research and wish to find a job (living abroad or already in the Netherlands), you can apply for the residence permit ‘orientation year highly educated persons’. This permit is valid for one year in which you have time to find a job. You don’t have to apply for a separate work permit during this year, but be aware that after this year, you’ll need a work permit.

For obtaining the orientation year permit, you’ll have to meet certain requirements like:
You haven’t had a residence permit to look for work after study, doctoral programme or scientific research before and in the past 3 years you’ve completed a Bachelors or Masters programme or done scientific research in the Netherlands or abroad. These are just a few general requirements, more detailed information can be found on the website of IND or by contacting the Expat Center East Netherlands.

When you are looking for a job during the orientation year, you can visit the website of where you can find job vacancies for internationals.

Self-Employed or starting your own business?

When you are starting your own business in the Netherlands, lots of questions will come up. For detailed information about how to start your own business, please visit the website of the Dutch Chamber of Commerce (Kamer van Koophandel) or the website of Novel-T in Enschede.
Since 2015 a new type of visa exists, especially for internationals who want to start their business in the Netherlands. You will have to meet some requirements to be entitled to this Start Up visa, of which:

  • Your product or service has to be innovative
  • You must have an experienced Dutch sponsor
  • You must be able to show a business plan
  • More details can be found on the website of the IND

If you are a self-employed worker without employees (Zelfstandige Zonder Personeel, ZZP’er) and you accept an assignment you can use a standard agreement. With this statement, your client/employer knows he can regard you as an independent entrepreneur and that he is not held responsible for withholding taxes and social security contributions on your remuneration.

Adult education

Adult education can be divided in two main subjects: fun and practical skills. The latter can be a language, computer skills or a study in the field you would like to find a job in.

Educational organisations in the Twente area like Saxion, Volksuniversiteit Twente, University of Twente or ROC can give you information about the possibilities. They will offer a range of studies from painting, drama, crafts to language, science and computer skills.
Be aware that most lessons will be taught in Dutch.